Sunday, December 18, 2011

13 – 1

This morning I woke up at 8am to shop for a toolbox/tool cart – OK LET’S BE HONEST, I AM NOT EVEN SURE WHAT IT IS CALLED.  All I know is that my teenage self probably hates me right now.  This is partially because for a short chunk of my life I never understood Sunday to be anything other than a day of resting until the early hours of the afternoon.  And this is partially because when I woke up my husband was pulling up You Tube videos to show me the last half hour of Saturday Night Live that I missed due to my famous ability to drop into a dead sleep in mere seconds, and practically anywhere.  In fact if you ask my mother, she will pull out the old photo albums and show you pictures of me at 4 years old sleeping in a kiddie lawn chair, on the patio, shortly after lunch, on any given afternoon, in the spring or summer.  These days Saturday Night Live is more like Saturday afternoon let’s find it “on Demand”.   Last year I actually called my daughter in sick to school on a Monday morning so we could watch the on demand version of Taylor Swift’s SNL hosting gig. 

The real reason for this early morning shopping, other than the fact that my husband was terrified he would wake of Christmas morning to a cute pink toolbox the size of a Barbie Doll accessory, or maybe him to lead me to the correct door as I stood in front of a department store door marked “out of service” waiting for it to auto-open, was to get it over with before the Packer Game. Today was the day, after all, that “we” were going to be 14-0, “we” were going to clinch the home field advantage for the playoffs, and “we” had an easy game... so we thought. If you have lived in Green Bay for any period of time you understand that when I say “we”, I mean the Green Bay Packers.  This is probably the only NFL city that refers to the team as “we”…. I am not sure where that came from, but I understand that 99% of Green Bay residents sound like they are actually PLAYIN ON the team when they talk about the Packers.  Well, “we” didn’t win. In fact, in what should have been one of the easiest wins of the season, “we” proceeded to have an epic fail. 

After the game, posts venting and complaining about the loss inundated my Facebook page.  The few Wisconsinites I know who don’t like the Packers were gloating, as were friends from out of state.  In the grand scheme of things, what does this loss really mean? Because honestly Our World Champions managed to pull it off last year with a much worse record.  Does this loss mean Green Bay will suffer a small recession?  Did this wreck Christmas? Do we realize there are people in this world with much bigger issues than worrying about whether “we” lost? I still love the Packers, however, it is only 3 hours of my week. Everyone should just calm down now, because after all, the Survivor finale is on in a few hours.  And then we will all have something else to complain about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment