Friday, November 16, 2012

Giving Thanks


Thanksgiving is less than a week away and though many people are focused on opening gun/deer hunting weekend aka deer hunting widow's weekend, Black Friday shopping, or a few much needed days off of work, I would like everyone to take some time to consider what you are thankful for in your life this year.  Since most of the big holidays occur at the end of the calendar year, it seems to be a good time to reflect on the past 12 months.  One year is 12 months, 365 days, 8760 hours, 525,600 minutes or 31,536,000 seconds.  That is a lot of time to consider.  Many families have a tradition to go around the Thanksgiving dinner table and take turns stating what they are thankful for.  In recent years, the downturn of our economy has likely changed what we are thankful for.  No longer are we thankful for material possessions, expensive vacations, and a six figure income - the things we are thankful for are often things we cannot put a price tag on.  Some of us are thankful to be working at all, even if it at a minimum wage job or two jobs.  

I asked some friends to tell me what they are thankful for this year, so before I get into my own list of "giving thanks",  I would like to share some of their responses:

" I am thankful for my family ...but im also thankful for facebook cause in the least year alone i have found alot of people that i normally would not see on a regular basis and to find them well and to catch up on old times or family that is in other parts of the state that i get to either talk to or just read what they are up to....cause nowadays you just don't know what can happen from day to day....one day they are here and the next they are gone. I have had a lot happen in the last year."

"My savior, my family, my health, and the world for it is our play ground."

"my kids, first and foremost. but i am sooo thankful for my family and friends. and I am really thankful for my ex husband. He really showed me what i DONT deserve, and from that, I became independent. hahahahahaaaa."

"I'm thankful for a roof over my head, food in my belly, a job, parents & a brother that i love dearly."


What am I personally thankful for this year?  My beautiful, intelligent and healthy children. My husband who is the hardest working man I know, loves me more than anyone ever could, thinks I am beautiful even when I am not, and is truly a partner in life showing me the meaning of "no matter what, we will make it work."  My mother, my sisters, my brother, my brother in laws, my sister-in-laws, my nieces and nephews and cousins and all of my extended family.  The opportunity for education.  The roof over my head and a warm bed to sleep in at my cozy new home I moved into this year.  The ability to work, regardless of how much or little money I make.  My dog who is neurotic and goofy and a little bit dumb, but is truly a member of our family.  Conversations at the kitchen table with my family and friends. Friendships that give me a second family and make me feel a little less alone in the world.  The kindness of friends and family.  Understanding. The freedom I have because I am an American citizen. Church and my faith in God, whose hand I have felt on my shoulder guiding me through life so much in the past 12 months. Unlocked doors which mean I might come home to unannounced visitors or I may be an unannounced visitor in someone else's home. Friday nights and Sunday mornings. Genuine laughter.  Sunshine. Forgiveness I have been given and have found.  And finally...my life... filled with love.   


No comments:

Post a Comment