Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Slow Down, Take a Deep Breath...


The first few weeks of the semester always seem like a walk in the park.  You are getting to know your new instructors, understanding expectations, possibly meeting new classmates.  It usually takes a few weeks to get into that comfort zone, and in some classes, you just never have it.  However, as we get into the 3rd and 4th weeks of school, we suddenly find ourselves inundated with homework, studying, obsessing over upcoming quizzes and presentations.  Like anything in life, if you blink your eyes, you will miss this moment.  There are times I find it difficult to focus, because the whole time this whole world of academia is spinning, LIFE is happening.  This semester, I am mostly taking online classes, due to increased work hours as well as the craziness of having 18 year old twin sons who need moms help planning for the future and a daughter who is on the threshold of her teenage years. I am discovering payback for all of the moodiness I projected onto my own mother as a pre-teen and teen.  Thank you mom for putting up with me. I love you and yes, now I know what you meant by those famous words, “Just wait until YOU have kids!”

The thing is, I really wouldn’t want it any other way, yet I feel the need to slow down and breathe lately.  (If you have seen me lately, you might think to yourself “Um yea, I get it.  Considering you are walking around wearing your glasses for the past week, we see you have SLOWED down enough not to even put your contact lenses in.”  Actually I have some eye infection going on, which incidentally my sister has too…. possibly a genetic disorder that causes us both to break appliances and have ailments at the same time.  Maybe we should just sit back and wait for the locusts to arrive.) I am making the choice to stop and take in everything around me and appreciate what I have, what I have been through, and what has made me what I am today.  Sometimes I spend so much time looking forward, that I miss the opportunity to live in the moment.  I am going on vacation in six weeks and I am promising myself not to spend the whole time taking photographs.  Rather than being focused on capturing every moment in a photograph or written words, I am going to try and just LIVE IT.  So maybe I can find a way to do that in “real life” as well.  Ok, not that I am taking photos of everything in my life, it’s just kind of an analogy.  Gosh, I AM doing that now that I think about it!!!  What is wrong with me?? The point is every moment shouldn’t be a story to tell, but instead a story to LIVE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment