Friday, June 1, 2012

Back to the Books

Next week marks the beginning of summer classes.  Last summer I was not working, so I chose to take two classes which met on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  One class was Economics and the other Criminal Procedures for Paralegals.  I was excited about my Criminal Law class, however I had a suspicion Economics would bore me to death.  I assumed there would be a lot of math and calculations and financial type formulas I would need to work with.  To my surprise, I enjoyed this class, not only getting a lot out of it, but also found myself with much to offer as far as participating in the discussion. As classes go at NWTC, this one was a pleasant surprise. 

This summer I am again taking two classes, however, I am taking them both online.  Accounting for non-accountants and Thinking Critically and Creatively.  Being overconfident (ok, full of myself sometimes..),  I am sure that I already think critically and creatively.  What could be more creative than writing a blog, right?  I am not exactly Martha Stewart-ish artsy craftsy, meaning I can't make a vase out of a leftover toilet paper tube or a picture frame out of popsicle sticks.  I do not make wreaths out of leftover wine corks, although I do collect the corks for a friend who shall remain nameless, who has been working on some sort of cork creation since 2005 or something ridiculous like that.  The decor in my home screams "less is more!"  I know where Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Joanne Fabrics are located, but the horror of stepping into those stores is typically too much for me to bear.  So I often don't categorize myself as a creative type. An artist I am not.  However, I do believe that I can think creatively.  I tend to find humor in many things others could not.  I can turn a short story into a drawn out, comedic embellishment of what it truly was.  As far as thinking critically, I would suspect that I am an epic fail.  Though my friends might tell you I can be disagreeable, cynical, argumentative, and defensive at times - I have a hard time being critical, as I understand that word.  I am not hypercritical.  If someone does something for me, I will typically tell them it is awesome and to me it will be, because I don't pick things apart, especially when it is done out of the goodness of someone's heart.  Or maybe it is just my less than heightened sense of awareness that I don't notice.  At one point in my life, a few years ago, one particularly critical friend accused me of not caring enough to notice flaws and pick things apart, which is not the case.  I just think that anything anyone else does is awesome, and if I am asking someone to do something for me, it means I cannot do it myself, therefore, they are probably better at it than me - which makes it awesome.  Bottom line is, I probably will benefit from this class, which leaves me anxious.  So on that note, bring the summer classes on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment