Monday, July 30, 2012

Hello My Name is Karrie…. And I am a Procrastinator


Yes, that’s right.  It’s true.  I am going to admit that I am total procrastinator.  I put off today what I have good intentions of doing tomorrow.  Tomorrow comes and I convince myself that tonight is not the right time to do whatever it is that I need to do, that it can wait until tomorrow.  I have good intentions of waking up at 5am to get my day started early and an extra few hours to do those things that I should have done last night.  This is not saying I don’t get many little things accomplished throughout the day.  I am a productive member of society and I am not lazy by any means.   On any given day I can give you a list of everything I have done and it sounds like I have accomplished a lot.  However, I wait until the “eleventh hour” to do the tedious tasks, the complicated tasks, the tasks that make me face up to the fact that I have probably messed something up that I now have to fix.  When the time comes that I can wait no longer, I pray for something to happen to buy me more time.   Yet what good would that do?  If I could buy myself a few more hours, days, weeks, or months, I would likely still put things off until the last minute.  I am sure there are some people out there who are very successful at meeting deadlines, organizing their lives so that they don’t wake up with that dreaded “today is the very final day I can do this” feeling.   But I think a lot of people are like me, and put off those less than pleasant details and duties in life – those we either don’t want to face at this moment, or those that we feel will waste hours of our lives we will never get back. 

Often I put off things I don’t want to do in lieu of  “having fun.”  Because I deserve to have fun if I have had a difficult day.  I convince myself I deserve this fun because it’s been a rough day, week, or month.  I have plenty of time, right?  So my advice for this coming week is as I say, not as I do.  Believe me, you will be happier, feel more accomplished, and it will cause a lot less headaches and worry in your life.  Don’t put off until tomorrow what can be done today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment