Friday, September 7, 2012

Last Semester??? Maybe Not

Yesterday I received an email from NWTC Admissions indicating that I was between 1 and 6 credits away from graduation.  I was confused thinking I would graduate in December.  I had not met with an advisor since my first semester, but felt confident I was choosing all of the classes for the degree requirement in my Paralegal program.  I checked my degree progress report which showed I had taken or was enrolled in every required course, however in red letters it said I was not eligible to graduate because I was 3 credits short.  I confirmed this with my advisor.  If I choose to graduate in December I must sign up for an accelerated course that would count as my elective course yet this semester.  Anyone who knows me will probably tell you that at times I can be a know it all. (No REALLY I KNOW IT'S SHOCKING!!!) - so when I was choosing classes I figured this elective class thing was simply an option.  I thought it didn't matter if I took it, but you know if I wanted to learn basket weaving or torture myself with some sort of Business Math class now that I passed Accounting for Idiots with an A and consider myself in the running to be the next CFO of General Mills, I had that option.  I thought it was simply an option.  Moral of the story kids... TALK TO YOUR ADVISOR!! Make sure each semester you monitor your degree progress and consult with your advisor about what you need to take so that you truly know you will graduate when you will.  As I do with everything, I waited until the eleventh hour, when I got this email to consult with my advisor.  What was I thinking???

I do have some very ancient college credits that MIGHT transfer.  I am waiting to hear back from my advisor about those.  When I started at NWTC I never had those colleges send the official transcript to NWTC because I knew only one of those classes, English Comp, would transfer to meet my program requirements.  Since I took that class way back in 1990 - 150 years ago - I thought it best to re-take it at NWTC anyhow.  Times have changed since my original college experience.  Al Gore has invented the Internet, so we no longer need to pore through stacks of actual books in the library to do research - ok unless you are in Legal Research class, which in addition to online research tools, teaches us what they call in my law firm "old man research" - just in case of a complete crash of all technology, and this is truly a good thing! Point is, teaching and writing has advanced, so I felt it would be beneficial for me to take that English Comp class again in modern times.  Regardless, I am checking with my advisor to see if I get the official transcripts, might any of those old school credits transfer?  Possibly... but then again maybe they are just too old to be any good. If they don't, you might just see me sitting next to you in some random class next semester - basket weaving, photography, wine-making, welding, any suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment