Friday, September 28, 2012

TGIF

I hesitate about using TGIF as the title of this blog post.  I dislike that acronym for reasons I am probably not even aware of.  For some reason every time I see TGIF in print it makes me think of Tony the Tiger and Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.  Don't ask me where this comes from, somewhere in the whirlwind vortex of my subconscious perhaps?  And even if it reminds me of that cartoon Tiger and a sugary breakfast cereal, why does that make me dislike the acronym?  I am taking a Psychology course this semester so that should give me some insight..... or not... My only guess is that my mom probably brought Frosted Flakes when they were on sale while I stood in the cereal aisle of the tiny IGA store in Crivitz and had a huge 4 year-old temper tantrum because I wanted Boo-Berry, and my 5 year-old sister had an identical tantrum because she wanted Count Chocula.  Those cereal box characters seemed much more appealing to me than this silly Tiger saying "THEY'RE GRRRREAAATTT!"  (Which was honestly a lie because they are not that great, unless your breakfast of choice is cardboard covered in layers of sugar and you don't care that by the time you reach my age you will have had extensive dental work resulting in less teeth in your head than fingers on your right hand.) 

That said, I am not going to shout out TGIF to my co-workers today, nor am I going to set it as my Facebook status, nor am I going to hashtag it on Twitter.  I WILL say that yes it's Friday, which is a sacred day in the lives of Monday through Friday workers all over the world.  On Friday you can get away with giving less than 100% at work.  On Friday, you can take an extra long lunch break.  On Friday, you do not have to feel guilty about sending personal emails.  On Friday, you can message your friends on Facebook and not feel the need to alt/tab to another screen or minimize the window every time on of your Ninja co-workers sneak up behind you.  On Friday, you can walk into your boss's office at 2 pm and say, "It's kind of slow today, would it be ok if I left early today?"  Truth is, the only thing that is truly slow is your own motivation. 

On this sacred Friday, I will likely do all of those things because I worked extra hard yesterday just to make sure I could.  I will leave work early today.  And I won't feel guilty that I went out for an impromptu 9pm drink last night after a "five minute warning" phone call from a friend that she was coming to pick me up and stayed up later than I should have. I will go home to see if my UPS delivery order from the jewelry party (which included some really strange moments and some kind of ceremony?) has arrived.  Later on, I will get together with a few of my friends to find out about their respective work weeks.  Although the one I am most anxious to hear of is from "Chelsea" who insisted "the last thing I want to do tonight is serve my own drinks to me and clean up after myself!"  This included a full job description of her Adventures in Babysitting Daycare where she and her business partner have glamorous moments of changing diapers, feeding kids with endless questions, sporting spit up in their hair and wiping boogers, the whole time getting wire hangers thrown at them.  We are sure going to have a lot to talk about tonight!  I hope she doesn't forget the wine sippy cup for me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment