Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Letter to My Program Director

As I move closer toward graduating in May of this year (yes it's official I WILL graduate... even got the confirmation email yesterday... unless I really mess something up!), I have been reflecting upon how my education has improved my life, as well as how much my instructors have done for me. This morning I sent an email to Lisa Mayer, the Director of the Paralegal Program at NWTC.  I would like to share it. 

Hi Lisa,
I just wanted to send you a quick email to let you know I am now working as a
full-time litigation paralegal at Epiphany Law in Appleton, for Attorney Valerie
Revnew.  One of my co-workers, who works with business entity formations and
real estate transactions, is Stephanie Fitzwilliam, who took Civil Litigation
classes with you and graduated from NWTC last year.  She wanted me to tell you
hello.  I am really enjoying my job at Epiphany, and working in the litigation
area. I know many students think you are a very tough instructor, as you should
be being the director of the program.  I wanted to thank you for being that kind
of teacher, to help us remember those things like "file, serve, file."  I
appreciate all that I learned from you in class because it is truly helping me
out in the work world.  I learned more from your class than any other class I
have taken, and believe me it makes my job much easier. Many people won't
appreciate what they have learned in the program until they are actually thrown
into the whole crazy chaos of a day as a paralegal.  Often our supervising
attorneys do not give us the most concise instructions, and we have to use the
skills we were taught in school to find the answers, so that we can present
intelligent questions to our supervising attorney when we are not quite clear
regarding what we are being asked to do.  I wish I could tell everyone in the
paralegal program how important our schooling is, because this is not a field
where you are given a specific training manual for every situation you might
encounter.  Again, thank you so much for being an amazing instructor and helping
me to become a successful paralegal. 

I will graduate in May and am very proud to already have a full-time position.
I had been working part time for the past few years in at Peterson, Berk and
Cross but that was more of an intern type position.  This is the real deal! The
firm I work for treats us so well and I feel very fortunate! Here is a link to
my bio and Stephanie's bio on our law firm website in case you are interested in
a few successful students of the program:

http://www.epiphanylaw.com/about-us/meet-the-epiphany-law-team/item/karrie-minor

http://www.epiphanylaw.com/about-us/meet-the-epiphany-law-team/item/stephanie-fitzwilliam

Thank you,
Karrie Minor

1 comment:

  1. What nice things to say Karrie! I'm sure your message made Lisa's day. It's always nice when students truly "get it". But you've worked very hard as well, and it's paid off. Congratulations on the full-time job!

    ReplyDelete