Thursday, February 28, 2013

Forty


Today is my husband’s 40th birthday.  I can’t help having that Kid Rock “I guess I’m $#@%ing forty” song ringing in my head.  In honor of his birthday, I am wearing a shirt that looks like it could have been made in 1973.  I, myself, am already 41.  Soon to be 42 in July of this year.  Today my husband ruins my façade of being a woman in her forties married to a man in his thirties.  Today my husband told me he feels “REALLY OLD!” 

I met Jason when we were both in our early twenties.  We were just a few years older than our “grown up” twin boys are right now.  In fact, when my husband met me, he also met those twin boys.  At an age when he should have been spending his life in bars or drinking beer in a bachelor pad, he made the decision to accept the “package deal” of starting a life with the three of us. Over the years we have moved into numerous rentals (duplexes, apartments, townhouses), driven at least ten different cars (Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Fords, Pontiacs, Chevys, Toyotas and Kias),  had ridiculous parties (weddings, birthdays, housewarming, graduation parties),  changed jobs, got married, had a daughter, bought a house, got a dog, took trips up north, took trips to far away places, stayed in hotels – sometimes all five of us packed into one room, went back to school to earn degrees,  changed our careers, learned to like (God forbid!) Country music, brought a kid to college, brought a kid home from college,  watched a kid graduate from Air Force basic training, lost a house, went back to a rental, learned to laugh over car accidents and things that didn’t quite go our way, learned to live paycheck to paycheck without fear, learned to cook, watched 1000s of movies and tv shows we would become fanatical about for a moment in time. 

And all of this did not make us wiser and more mature.  It mellowed us.  It simplified what has made us happy.  It made me laugh in the middle of a ridiculous argument about the fact that my husband does not like Stevie Nicks.  (Ok, I am still kind of mad about THAT one.)  My husband Jason is still a big kid at heart.  So I hope my husband has a wonderful 40th birthday and does not feel old, but instead feels proud of his life.  Happy birthday old man!!

No comments:

Post a Comment