Monday, May 14, 2012

What is Mother's Day?


Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908, when a woman named Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in America, and petitioned for it to become a national holiday.  Although that happened by 1914, it had already become a commercialized holiday by 1920.  For me, Mother’s Day is not commercialized.  For me it is about my own mother, my children, and so many of my dear friends who are the most amazing mothers I know.  From the single moms to the stay at home moms,  these women are all amazing, and I respect them deeply, because most of them live each day of their lives for their children.   

Being a mother, you live your life with the feeling that your heart exists outside of your body.  My three children have held my heart with them on a daily basis all of their lives.  Each time they are hurt or sad or happy or proud, I feel it all as if it is happening to me personally.  Though I am the parent, they have truly taught me, and made me what I have become.  From one son’s academic determination and mature way of handling life situations which shows wisdom beyond his 18 years,  to my other son’s strong values about maintaining his individuality and never giving in to peer pressure, to my daughter’s fearlessness and humor,  I have learned a lot.  Each of their individual traits influences me on a daily basis.  So on Mother’s Day, I should be showing THEM appreciation. 

My own mother has been there for me through thick and thin,  heartbreak, and losses of friendships, losses of jobs, graduations, marriage, childbirth, and new career paths chosen.  She has been there through my darkest days and shared my joy during my finest hours.  She has always stood by me, and never wavered with her support, never talking behind my back, or questioning my sometimes “questionable” choices.  She has let me be the person that I have become and allowed me to learn from my mistakes.  Without my own mother, my life would be very empty.   I am thankful that she has been such a huge part of my life, and will continue to be.

Lastly, I would like to share my son Cody’s Facebook post yesterday, which brought tears to my eyes, but in a good way: 

Happy mother's day to the woman who gave birth to my similar, but different, twin and my ecstatic little sister. You've molded me into the person I am today and have motivated me to go to college and set me up to succeed in life. I just want to take this time to thank you for all you do and have done. No matter how much we have argued or yelled at each other and had our disagreements, I'll always love you. Thank you for being my mom and I'm glad to be able to share you with two other siblings of mine.”

Happy Mother’s Day (a day late!)

No comments:

Post a Comment