Friday, May 4, 2012

While I Was "Gone"....

The semester is almost over and I feel as if I have been living under a rock for the past five days.  Last minute homework has consumed me.  I am the type of person who always "thinks" that I will have enough time to get it done in whatever block of free time I have, but then I start working on it and I am too much of a perfectionist to just push through it as fast as I thought I might.  I have barely spoken to my family or friends.  I have been getting up at 5am every morning, taking a break to shower and work, but ignoring life that was going on around me.  The few times I was able to glance at my phone, it was blowing up with text messages, many of my friends asking if I was mad at them or if I was ok.  I felt horrible for my short responses, or lack of responses, but now I am finally back to the land of the living. I am sure my family will appreciate the fact that I am back on top of my domestic management duties so that they at least will have clean clothes to wear.  I am grateful to a dear friend of mine who allowed me to find solace at her kitchen table last night to complete the last of it.  (Though she is a single mom with two middle school aged children, a dog and a cat, it was easier to focus there than at home.)  And fortunately she lives very close to NWTC, so in between work and school and serving a life sentence in the library, she made sure I had a quick place to stop to see a friendly face and a quick dinner.   Next week I have two final exams to take, but strangely I always think the exams are the easy part.  It is the homework that stresses me out. 

What did I miss while I was gone in homework land?  I missed a week of stories from my adorable Rachel about her school day, every day, though she told them to me each day, my head was elsewhere.  I missed Cody telling me exactly what his work schedule was and something about an AP Psychology exam next week that I have to figure out over the weekend. I missed Mack explaining to me what exactly the Air Force Recruiter told him his next steps are.  I missed my husband explain a recipe for a dinner I was supposed to cook so I did not even know what I was cooking.  I missed my evening Facebook interaction/chats with Chelsea, my "amoeba", who almost fell into a deep depression due to lack of contact this week. It's all good Chels, I am back! I missed a jewelry party I had promised to attend and somehow spaced out in the midst of my homework haze.  And somehow I missed the fact that Kourtney Kardashian and Scott got married???? I obviously need my E! fix.  But in the end my friends and loved ones, it is all worth it.  Because working this hard means I have the motivation and passion for my Paralegal career.  It won't always be like this, though I do suspect this will soon be replaced by long work hours, which I am ready for. I promise my people there will be a lot less neglect than there was this week!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment