Friday, November 4, 2011

Hello Weekend...


As tempted as I am to greet everyone with “Happy Friday”, I can’t bring myself to do it.  This is probably due to repressed memories of my unemployed days of the not so distant past.  Not my finest moment. You would be surprised how little the weekend means when you don’t have a place you are required to go every weekday.  One morning I was so discouraged after reading about 112 “Happy Friday!” or “TGIF!” comments on Facebook, I posted a less than kind status about “Happy Friday” on my page. This was only to be met with a comment by my nephew Jake who said, “The weekend misses you Auntie Karrie and cannot wait to welcome you back!” Ok, that might not be verbatim, but it was something similar.  (By the way, my nephew Jake is a working adult, just so I don’t misrepresent him as a goofy third grader...)  So here goes:  HAPPPPYYYYY FRIDAY!!!!!

This week I learned a few new slang words from the “cool kids” at school.  As a mother of teenagers (and a teenage nephew who spends an inordinate amount of time at my house), I am probably exposed to more slang terms than most people who are as close to their golden years as I am.  I am often greeted by my nephew with, “Hey brah, you wanna be my bro? Brosef?” Though, I have to admit I am not quite sure when it’s an appropriate time to pepper my sentences with the word “swag”.  In fact, I can probably understand the recent brochure asking me to choose Place That Shall Remain Nameless Memorial Gardens for my crematory needs than to make sense of today’s slang.  Remember, I grew up in the 80’s so my slang probably is closer to Charlie Sheen’s recent ramblings,  Valley Girl Speak or MOST  DEFINITELY Keanu Reeves character in “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventures”.  (I still can’t remember if he was Bill or Ted.)  So, it shouldn’t surprise you to hear that I said “Girl WHAT?” about five times when one of the 18 year old students in my Oral and Interpersonal Communication class was speaking in a group presentation about how gender plays a part in non-verbal communication.  He finally spoke very slowly so that I could understand the term he used was “Girl Dime”. Never heard of it.  Apparently it means a “Ten”, or an extremely attractive female.  I learned a lot in class that day about non-verbal communication, but I also walked away with a new word in my vocabulary, thinking I would all hip with the kids when I got home. On that note, feel free to throw some of your own slang terms at me in your comments, and maybe I will pull some out of my own archives from the 80’s!

Before we all commence to enjoy the weekend, I wanted to address what my former corporate supervisors would call:  A Few Housekeeping Issues.  Thank you all so much for your comments. Keep them coming!  I love reading them! Despite the fact that the blog site I am using does not enable me to reply directly below your comment, I will comment back to each and every one of you using the @ symbol and your name to address specific comments. So you might have to check back to see my responses or I believe you can click on subscribe before you submit your comment, which means you will be notified via email of any updated comments. You can also click on “follow” in the upper left of the screen above the blog title, which means you should receive an email when I publish new posts. I am not exactly tech savvy so I cannot explain exactly how that works, but I do know I was able to become a follower of my own blog. I am currently the one and only, so jump on the bandwagon and join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment