Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An Introduction - Not Necessarily the Short Version


If you haven’t figured it out yet by the blog title, my name is Karrie Minor and I am honored to be writing for this new blog NWTC has developed.  I am a student at NWTC in the Paralegal Program, which I started in January of this year. In addition to being a student, I also count myself as a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a co-worker, an employee, a classmate and a friend.  Way back in 1989, I graduated from high school in a small town called Crivitz, Wisconsin. You may have heard of it, and if you have, you likely refer to it as “up north”. I went off to pursue higher education, first at UWGB with a major in Social Work, and then to Marquette University in Milwaukee to study Journalism.  In 1991, I took a few years off of school.  A few years turned into twenty, which included marriage, three children, and many years working in the corporate world, not necessarily in that order.  When I lost my job in the summer of 2010, it was a blessing in disguise.  My husband was attending NWTC in the CNC Machine Tool program at the time, and came home with a brochure for the Paralegal Program.  Being fully aware of my obsession with law, true crime books and those “48 Hour Mystery” shows on TV, he felt it would catch my interest. He was correct.

As adults, many people pass in and out of our lives.  Some we lose to marriage, some to careers, and perhaps some to a path in life we don’t necessarily approve of.  But there are some who stick around, and the others, who come back.  Many of those people we have met in school, or in the workplace. When you get to be my age (40, yes I am saying it out loud, the dreaded 4-0) you have seen your share of people and places (jobs, schools) come and go and some of them come back again.  I have not only re-connected with old friends at NWTC, but also have met some pretty amazing new friends.  I was apprehensive about being labeled as the dreaded “returning adult student”, yet now I can honestly say some of my closest friends in school are much younger than me.  Considering I am the mother of twin teenage boys, as well as a pre-teen girl, they might see me as a mom-type, but I do think we also connect on a peer level.

Now, at the ripe old age of 40, I am possibly a more well rounded individual than I was way back in 1989. One of my close friends, whom I met in my College Math class at NWTC, said it best when she said she feels like she has so many more intelligent things to talk about now that she is back in school.  I have been involved with volunteering and campus events that my whole family can attend.  Considering my two boys are graduating in spring, it has also helped me to know the process to assist them in their future career goals.  (On a side note, my son, Cody, was recently accepted to Milwaukee School of Engineering and awarded a $40,000 scholarship. Go Cody!)

I look forward to writing this blog and hopefully you will come to look forward to reading my weekly posts, which may not be quite as long as this one.  Please forgive the length as this introduction covers a lot. (Did I mention that 40 years is a long time?)  Comments and suggestions are always welcome!


18 comments:

  1. Great blog! From reading it I feel like I know you. I can appreciate your journey, I too have twin sons (now 26) and a daughter and returned to school when they were young teens. Love your attitude, will get you a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastically written post! I linked here through facebook, could you tell me more? Are you doing this for a class? Good luck with this project, you are a wickedly funny writer and I am sure you will keep us entertained weekly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Karrie, I too feel as if I know you. Oh wait, I do know you. Ha. Anyway, just wanted to commend you on your first blog, well written indeed. Which was to be expected. Congrats to Cody. He earned it. Kudos Cody. I was looking for an RSS feed on your blog. Was not to be found. Guess I will have to keep up with it manually. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karrie, congratulations on your first blog. Nicely done and I really like your personal touch about your experience. Being a successful student really boils down to being able to manage all of life's priorities while also focusing on your academic requirements. Just think of the role modeling you and your husband are providing to your children. You are well on your way to successful completion and a career in paralegal. I look forward to shaking your hand as you cross the stage at graduation in the future. Signed - one of many NWTC staff supporters cheering you on (Lori, VP Learning)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @happy in gb
    Thank you so much for your kind words about my journey and my attitude! Keep following, because as a parent of twins, I am sure I will be posting much that you can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sara Dee
    Thank you for the compliments, I hope to keep you entertained :) I am not doing this for a class. My school, NWTC, actually posted openings for student blogger positions on their website, so I applied and they chose me based on a sample blog post application. I hope I can keep everyone entertained or at the very least give you a few laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Todd
    Thank you Todd. DO I KNOW YOU? Ha! Just kidding :) I hope you will keep following my blog, if it doesn't bore you to death with things I might have already told you! I will pass on your congrats to Cody. I think there is an RSS feed now, though I am not really savvy with web design (as you know). I tried to figure out how to add a reply to comments button, but it doesn't do the reply right underneath the individual comments which is irritating me. You will just have to keep checking for my responses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anonymous
    Thank you Lori. I too, look forward to shaking your hand at graduation. My teenage self is hating me for being such a good role model to my kids. Though as an adult, I am very proud that I am!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karrie -

    Congratulations on your position as NWTC's student blogger! I was excited to see you promoted by our marketing department. Obviously, as a writing instructor, I am extremely proud to say, "She was an English Composition student of mine." We get excited any time we see a student that continues their writing outside of our classrooms. Then again, I do recognize that you had a flair and love for writing long before your class with me. Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Heather Hill,
    I haven't yet had the opportunity to thank you for being a truly inspirational and supportive instructor. English Composition class renewed my love for writing, which perhaps broke a decade long writer's block for me. You definitely deserve to take some credit! I hope that other students will read this and realize that writing can be fun. Please keep following my blog posts as there will be future posts where I write about instructors who are genuine, fair and kind individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karrie -
    Thanks for sharing your story about your journey at NWTC; our students juggle so many responsibilities, and you certainly seem to know how to stay focused and well-organized. We have something in common (Crivitz) ..... I work at NWTC's Regional Center there. If you get back "up north", please stop in to say hello. My sister graduated from our Paralegal program a few years ago -- I hope you enjoy your career as much as she does...you made a good choice. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation and best wishes for a bright future! (Vicky Oldham, Central Region Coordinator)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karrie,
    You are a great inspiration to returning adult learners and dislocated workers. Thank you for sharing your story - that takes courage to do. Best to you in this phase of your journey. I look forward to learning from you and your words in this blog. If I can ever be of assistance in your job search or venture here at NWTC, please feel free to stop by. I would enjoy meeting you in person. Best, Jennifer Pigeon (Manager, Career Services/K-14 Relations)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Vicky Oldham,
    I will definitely visit you the next time I am in my hometown. It is so great to hear that Crivitz has a regional center for NWTC! I am so impressed with all of the comments. Keep them coming. Unfortunately the blog site I use does not have any way to reply directly to comments, so I hope you are able to read these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Jennifer Pigeon
    Thank you for your comments. It is often difficult to explain my status as a student and a dislocated worker, however, I am proud of the path I have chosen. The encouragement I read from each person who reads my blog reassures me that I have made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, Karrie! I'm the NWTC Librarian whose desk is right next to the legal reference books, so don't hesitate to consult me if you get stumped by any legal research questions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karrie, thank you for your awesome post and for being a trailblazer in the world of NWTC student blogging. I look forward to reading more and appreciate the fact that you selected NWTC to help you refocus your future Dreams:).

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Julie Chapman
    Thank you so much Julie! Believe me, I could use some help with those legal reference books! I am currently taking legal research and spend a lot of time in the library! Next time I am there I will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Bridgett
    Thank you so much for reading my blog - if anyone would like to "follow" it you will get email updates when I publish new posts. On the upper left of this page there is a "follow" option, which I believe works. I can let you know because I AM CURRENTLY MY ONLY FOLLOWER!!! :) I am so honored that this opportunity came my way through NWTC.

    ReplyDelete