Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pretty Blue Water with a Sprinkle of Six Months of Cable TV in 2 Days


My Thanksgiving was awesome, thanks for asking! I would go into every detail of the food, drink, merriment and thankfulness, but most of you have probably had enough of your own and don’t have a need to read all of that.  After waking from a tryptophan induced coma on Friday, I returned to the land of the living to experience much road rage from the Black Friday Crowd on my way to the grocery store.  No, I did not shop.  I am one of those rare women who actually hates shopping, especially when there are crowds of people.  I can spend hours on end in a bookstore or at a Farmer’s Market, but braving the mall at any time of year is a horrifying experience to me. Possibly I got it all out of my system in my teenage years, being part of the 80’s mall generation.  My shopping was done online in the form of booking a mid March vacation to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.  I have not been out of the country since 1989, when as a senior in high school I was fortunate enough to spend a few weeks in France.  I was not old enough to appreciate everything I was seeing, being more enamored with the lack of drinking age and possibly the fact that our “chaperones” were too busy drinking wine to keep track of a bunch of teenage kids.  Lest you judge these “chaperones”, I should remind you that this was back in the days when no one batted an eyelid at letting a bunch of crazy teenagers walk around Paris without an adult present.  I personally would have a hard time allowing any of my own children do this, but then again I am pretty sure my own mom and dad never told me about all of the sleepless nights they had while I was gone.  At any rate, I have never been anywhere with “pretty blue water”, so I am beyond excited to be finally experiencing it at the ripe old age of 40.  Beyond my spring break years, but young at heart, I am sure my vacation will be a milder version of that of my younger counterparts, however enjoyable nonetheless.

So now you can all worry yourselves for the next few months about whether I am going to return, or work toward my future goal of running a jewelry stand on the beach.  No fears…. I could not leave my darling treasures of children behind and there is school and work to attend to…  for a little bit longer at least!

As far as my six months of cable TV in two days, well, it’s amazing how much junk TV you can watch when you are feeling sick.  I seemed to have come down with something the past few days, which left me on the couch, wrapped up in blankets watching everything from “Locked Up Abroad” to “Sister Wives” marathons.  I finally feel like the small car payment my cable company charges me each month has shown its worth! I am feeling better now though and back to homework, and studying for finals.  The semester seems like it flew by, yet I am looking forward to the next.  It is always funny at the end of the semester to think back to the first day of class and meeting new people and comparing first impressions to your relationships with instructors and fellow students after spending an entire semester with them.  And hey, that’s something to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment